I have suggestions for SARU to improve South African rugby.
- Appoint a Springbok coach that can improve the way the Springboks play.
- SA needs to ensure that all the Superrugby teams are coached by coaches who have embraced the modern game.
- Create a plan aimed at getting at least 3 SA teams into the knockout stages of Superrugby for 2016 and progressively improve on that year on year.
- Create a rugby culture in South Africa that players won’t want to leave even if they are offered big money.
- Take greater action to keep South African players playing in SA. This could be a rule that only allows players with more than 50 caps for the Springboks to be selected for the Boks if they are not playing in SA.
- Put a much greater emphasis on attracting larger crowds to matches. Larger crowds =better atmosphere=helps with player attitude, also earns more money.
- Coach the coaches clinics. Make sure that coaches at all levels are coaching a modern game.
- Get coaching expertise from wherever, if they can help it doesn’t matter what nationality they are.
- Good coaching needs recognition and reward.
- Good use of a squad system should be rewarded while overplaying individuals needs to be discouraged
- Steps should be taken to play teams with whom South Africa are not that familiar with, such as Japan or Canada. Lessons can be learnt from every team that you play against.
- Stop the obsession with New Zealand.
- Promote good sportsmanship. Discourage booing when an opposition team is taking a kick.
- Improve training facilities.
- Play weight category rugby, so that smaller skillful players have a platform to nurture their talent.
- Increase the scouting and recruitment of talent so that the best can be fast-tracked into Vodacom Cup, Currie Cup, Superrugby and Springbok teams
- Have a B team competition that runs parallel with the Rugby Championship as they do for the Six Nations
- Revive representative teams like the Emerging Springboks and the SA Babarians.
- Set fitness precedants for each level of competition. For example Vodacom Cup level 6, Currie Cup level 7, Superrugby level 8, Springboks level 9+
More suggestions are welcome.